Home Page Play games in the arcade * Home Page Home Page Home Page
  Register
Login 
View unanswered posts View active topics

Delete all board cookies

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to bpaforum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: GTG X - Suggestions
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:52 pm 

gaz2367 wrote:
.....and if you use your joker, but don't score any points, you are deducted 5 points.

That will make it more interesting!

I was going to suggest if you named a scorer and he scored an own goal that you had points deducted but I thought that might be a step too far.......

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 pm 

Another step too far would be double points if your nominated scorer scored with his "wrong" foot. Not sure how headers would work, though.

Only 46 goals scored all last season, so unless there is a big improvement, it will not be a big point-earner!

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 pm 

tomohawk wrote:
I've come up with another suggestion and it was inspired by none other than Harry Kane

What about on Guess the Score games ONLY that as well as forecasting the score you attempt to name a scorer in the match

For each goal your chosen scorer netted you could be awarded, lets say, 2 points per goal

So for instance taking Spurs game last night had you nominated Harry Kane you would have earned yourself 8 bonus points.

So taking as an example Avenue v Harrogate Town, you might decide that Oli Johnson will get a brace and he obliges, 4 points are yours

Contestants could also go to the dark side and chose, heaven forbid, an opposition player to score, such as Simon Ainge to get a lucky deflected goal then that would be worth 2 points

I don't know how many Guess the Score games there are a season but I think this is an idea that wouldn't put too much strain on the powers that be?

Guess the Scorer.

Hm.

I think that's a whole new game.

Guess the Gate already incorporates What's the Score and that is sufficient.

As has been stated elsewhere the competition is already in a good place. It just requires a little adjustment here and there.

Thank you for your input tomohawk but on this occasion we leave things be.

Next year will see the introduction of a Joker, and there will be a change as already explained to the Factor 10 games.

Anybody any further thoughts?

With regard to the Bank Holiday Specials I rather like the adopt a team or green theme. What do you think?

:-)

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 am 

The same team for all the BHSs would mean one amount of initial research (ie guessing), having different teams for each one makes us "do a bit".
Different teams but with a theme please.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:53 pm 

tomohawk wrote:
I've come up with another suggestion and it was inspired by none other than Harry Kane

What about on Guess the Score games ONLY that as well as forecasting the score you attempt to name a scorer in the match

For each goal your chosen scorer netted you could be awarded, lets say, 2 points per goal

So for instance taking Spurs game last night had you nominated Harry Kane you would have earned yourself 8 bonus points.

So taking as an example Avenue v Harrogate Town, you might decide that Oli Johnson will get a brace and he obliges, 4 points are yours

Contestants could also go to the dark side and chose, heaven forbid, an opposition player to score, such as Simon Ainge to get a lucky deflected goal then that would be worth 2 points

I don't know how many Guess the Score games there are a season but I think this is an idea that wouldn't put too much strain on the powers that be?

This idea would be totally detrimental to us 'foreigners' who usually have no idea who are Avenues current crop of players let alone the oppositions. Also due to the time difference I really need to concentrate upon getting my guesses in on time never mind at 3.00 pm (GMT + 2) on a Saturday having to check on actually who is likely to be playing. It would be even worse for our Canadian (I think) guesser.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:15 am 

Highscores: 4
I agree DCarbz.

Given that the team sheets are only published after the deadline for submitting guesses, it would be a total "shot in the dark" for anybody.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:02 pm 

Downtown Pedro wrote:
I agree DCarbz.

Given that the team sheets are only published after the deadline for submitting guesses, it would be a total "shot in the dark" for anybody.

Okay guys message received and understood, guess the scorer is a non starter but it's better to try and fail then never try at all.I am not disappointed, people laughed at Bill Gates once upon a time.

With that in mind I've come up with another brainwave and this time I think it could be a winner.

Can I unveil to you courtesy of John Terry, Guess the Substitute Time :D

Also Guess the Late, a new feature where you have to estimate how many people turn up after the kick off and hot on its heels Guess the Wait , yes, how long it takes to get an award winning portion of chips at HT.
I commend these suggestions to the forum

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 7:57 am 

Commendable suggestions Tomohawk.

GtTimeofthe1stSub: could work, but would it be tactical or due to injury? Both sides? As with GtTimeofofthe1stgoal (see below), it could be a lucrative competition run by & for the club.

GtLate; could be a winner, but the number is not available already, so it would be extra work for somebody. Perhaps as a bonus for points winners? Does late mean whilst the gatemen are on duty or the ones that creep in when the admission charge is no longer collected?

GtWait; who is going to stand with a stop-watch by the queue? can't see Keith or one of his illustrious committee volunteering for that duty, especially when the pub is open. But there would have to be a more specific occasion, eg how long does the 1st person joining the queue after the HT whistle have to wait? Time to count from joining the queue to leaving the shop with his/her bag of chips -only a bag of chips though, no complicated orders, & no "extras" -except the compulsory salt & vinegar. **
Maybe as a one-off for a laugh.
It could be sabotaged though, could a power-cut be arranged by somebody opting 'long'? could the some of the queue be persuaded to disappear & come back later? Could those already in the queue conveniently allow their friends to 'push in' to 'adjust the delay'?

GtTimeofthe1stGoal: now that is a successful competition for some clubs, usually as a very good fund-raiser. 90 people buy a number at £1 each, the one with the time of the 1st goal wins the prize, which is usually a lot less than the £90 collected, nobody buys that number, or a nil-nil scoreline = 100% profit, don't want to appear greedy, but 100% @ £5 a ticket sounds very nice: and suspiciously, number 45 & 90 have already been bought by those "in the know", as goals in injury time are counted as being scored in the 45th & 90th minutes.

** Please substitute "portion" for "bag". H&S does not permit bags anymore!

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 pm 

Food for thought....

What if we held a couple of "partner" events.

The calculations would have to take place after the event.

Each guesser for the week would be assigned a sequential number based upon when the guess was posted - earliest would be number 1, second earliest number 2 and so on.

After the game, a blind draw using these assigned numbers would take place in order to create 2 person teams (similar to the draw for the GTG Cup). In the event of an uneven number of guessers, the person making the latest guess would be drawn against one of the previous guesses in a blind draw.

The combined total of each team's guess would be divided by 2 in order to establish the team's stab at the attendance.

Points could be awarded as usual except that each member of the winning teams would gain points.

I think this might create some interest, and it might give some of the people lower on the table a chance to gain some points.

Okay folks - fire at will

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:18 pm 

Wow! Brilliant!
GtG goes into teamwork! Olympics next!

I can see the steam rising from the GtG committee rooms in North Bradford, even from here in Glasgow!
It will take a lot of bacon buttie sessions to work that one out! (Can we afford it? From the pocket & on the waistline!)

Why bother with a draw, just take first & last posters as a team, 2nd & 2nd last as another, & so on; anybody left in the middle gets teamed up with the person who posted whatever the date is.
I would suggest a trial period of let's say 4 games, points awarded 5-4-3-2-1 for each team member.

So, lets say I am 1st poster with 600, foxyone posts last with 500; our combined guess is 550. If we are closest to the actual gate, we both get 5points.
But if the actual figure is 550, do we both move around the House of Fame? I don't think so!

Another scenario: I post 1st with 600, foxyone posts 31st & last with 500, our team's guess is 550; the date is the 1st, lonsuffering posts 16th (ie the middle, odd***, poster) with 504, so our team's guess is 552; the actual gate is 551, I get 10 points, longsuffering and foxyone get 5 each.

Simple! in theory, time of posting would be in the order they appear in the topic, but should editing be allowed?

*** No offence!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:48 am 

Downtown Pedro wrote:
Food for thought....

What if we held a couple of "partner" events.

The calculations would have to take place after the event.

Each guesser for the week would be assigned a sequential number based upon when the guess was posted - earliest would be number 1, second earliest number 2 and so on.

After the game, a blind draw using these assigned numbers would take place in order to create 2 person teams (similar to the draw for the GTG Cup). In the event of an uneven number of guessers, the person making the latest guess would be drawn against one of the previous guesses in a blind draw.

The combined total of each team's guess would be divided by 2 in order to establish the team's stab at the attendance.

Points could be awarded as usual except that each member of the winning teams would gain points.

I think this might create some interest, and it might give some of the people lower on the table a chance to gain some points.

Okay folks - fire at will

Ingenious suggestion but I think k I may have found a flaw. You say it might give people who are low in the table a chance to get some points. Let's imagine that through the randomness of the draw someone languishing at the foot of the table was shackled to a dunce like me, result, nil points.
On the other hand in that same draw you, Pedro, are in tandem with another superstar such as Ronaldomcdonaldo, outcome maximum points and you both disappear into the distance.

Perhaps a more fairer way based on your Robin Hood wish to share the points around would be to team up the person that's top with the bottom place player, second placed with second from bottom and so on. It gets a bit pointless as you get to the middle though so maybe not.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:19 am 

Oh my goodness - with responses like "brilliant" and "ingenious", and a reference to "superstar" status, I am suitably humbled. :oops:

Just one thing about this suggestion, the notion is that the partner format would be implemented only a couple of times during the entire season, as a "booster" to get things going.

We certainly do not want to overburden the GTG panel which already performs yeoman service.

Ciao

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:38 pm 

Can't see how making the teams from the table would work, what happens if half the team miss the bus and their guess arrives late? Does the other half of the team forfeit his/her entry?

If it works on a couple of games, could we try a quadriX quaziX quantX 4 person team event towards the end of the season?

What about using this method to solve an argument / discussion? EG those that think BPA should play in RA&B forms one team, those wanting G&W the other, for the chosen game, simply enter G&W or RA&B along with your guess, take the total for each side divided by the number on the team to find the average, team closest to the actual wins the debate and a couple of bonus points.
Obviously the discussion subject should be well thought-out; "Do we need a full-time salaried DoF" would mean everybody would get the winners points!

Maybe the GtG committee should take out a patent on this idea; BPA this season, Westminster the next?
Careful "Downtown Pedro" "you don't know what you've started!"

(I can see dark clouds hovering above GtG HQ as we speak! -& the bacon buttie maker negotiating overtime payments.)

Search for:
Home Page Home Page  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1, 2

Contact Us | All times are UTC